Hope everyone’s prep for BUCS duathlon is going well! The hard work is done. Now it’s time to taper off and refine some technical aspects of your performance.
The fastest riders are generally the ones who are the most aero. You won’t place well in BUCS duathlon without a good bike split. Here are last years results.
BUCS duathlon is pancake flat. You don’t have to worry about hills. There are none. Therefore your main opponent is yourself. Your frontal area. Your drag. If you are upright; your opponent is big. Shrink your opponent by reducing your frontal area.
- Get yourself some clip-on aero bars. Beg, Borrow or Steal. (or get a £10,000 TT bike if you can afford it!).
- Get comfortable in the position. Find the right trade-off between getting aerodynamic and being able to generate power comfortably. Do this with practice, ideally on a turbo. If you can get a professional bike fit done that’s perfect, otherwise ask or contact an expert. Send us footage of your bike position and we’ll give you feedback.
- Invest the time ASAP but don’t overdo it. Do 1min in aero tuck position and 1min in normal position while you are getting used to it. Gradually increase the aero:normal position ratio i.e. 2:1, 3:1, 5:1, 10:1 etc
- Stretch before and after biking. Upper and lower back, glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors
- Learn from the best and reach out to them. Experts love to give back. Two of the best experts in the UK aero world right now are Matt Bottril and Dan Bigham. Watch, listen, learn.
You will drastically improve your bike split by applying this simple principle. Reduce your drag on the bike and reduce your bike split time. But you’ve got to invest the time now.
Good luck to everyone doing BUCS Duathlon!